HOW TO CARE FOR VERMEIL JEWELRY
What is Vermeil?
Pronounced “ver-may”. Gold vermeil is at least 10K gold (we use 14K gold) that is a minimum of 2.5 microns thick and layered over sterling silver. These are strict standards that must be met for jewelry to be considered vermeil.
Basic care for Your Gold Vermeil Jewelry
- Vermeil will naturally tarnish over time, especially when exposed to environmental factors like air pollution, moisture, and items that contain sulfur.
- Remember to remove your gold vermeil jewelry before applying perfumes, lotions, or before bathing.
- Avoid wearing gold vermeil jewelry while using chlorine bleach or while in a pool or hot tub.
- Store your gold vermeil jewelry in an airtight container when not in use to reduce the risk of scratching as well as tarnishing.
- Buff gently with a polishing cloth to maintain shine
How to Clean Your Gold Vermeil Jewelry
- Combine 1-2 drops of dish soap with lukewarm water in a bowl. Whisk until bubbly.
- Place your jewelry in the bowl for 5-10 minutes allowing it to soak.
- With a soft bristle brush, gently clean the hard to reach areas on your pieces (like in between the gemstone settings and chains).
- Place your jewelry in a separate bowl of clean water (without soap) to rinse it.
- Finally, use a microfiber cloth to pat it dry. You can use any soft cloth, but microfiber is especially soft and absorbent.